HomeAnswersFamily PhysicianpregnancyI had sex during fertile period and missed period. Am I pregnant?

Can missed period after having sex during fertile period mean pregnancy?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 8, 2018
Reviewed AtJanuary 11, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have been on Ava 20 (hormonal contraceptive pill) for about three years. I recently just stopped taking it. I had sex about 3 to 4 times in my fertile period. I have missed my period by a few days. So, I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I have been having a few symptoms too like sore nipples and breasts, weeing a bit more than usual, acne, and fatigue.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Since you have been actively trying to conceive and having unprotected sexual intercourse on fertile days does put the possibility of pregnancy high up on the list especially coupled with a missed period. A home pregnancy test can be negative in the first few days after the missed period even in case of successful fertilization owing to insufficient beta hCG hormones. I suggest you take another urine strip test after a week if you still do not get your periods. Or could get a blood test for serum beta hCG in a few days which is more sensitive. In any case, you should treat it as a possible pregnancy unless proven otherwise and take your vitamins.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

pregnancymissed period

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Family Physician

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy