Q. Is it safe to plan for a high altitude hiking when I am 5 weeks pregnant?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am 5 weeks pregnant and planning to go on a hike in altitude 2000-5200 m for seven days. The first day (peak climb) should be quite challenging from the physical perspective. As the trip is booked already without prior knowledge of pregnancy, could you please recommend what I should do in this situation? Can it impose any risk to the developing baby?

This is my first pregnancy, and I do not have any illnesses, no obesity, nonsmoker, and I pursue an active lifestyle.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

Pregnancy is a very precious thing, and I am sure you must be going through many physical and emotional changes. Now I fully understand that you have an active lifestyle, but I recommend that you please postpone the hike.

I will list out some risk factors for your trip:-

1. Higher altitudes mean lesser oxygen and hence lesser oxygen for your baby, which may result in complications.

2. You may be required to lift some hiking kit or bag during your trip, which may lead to exertion in your body, especially in your womb.

3. There may be some accident or injury to you like a twist in the ankle, etc. It may leave you on bed rest for a prolonged period, leading to difficulty in pregnancy due to complete stopping of physical activity.

In case you fall sick or develop some complications, then there may not be any medical help available, which may cause a problem.

Pregnancy during the first trimester is very critical and involves the maximum changes in the body and moods. I do not want to discourage you, but I request you to avoid hike if possible.

|