Q. What is the reason for dry cough during pregnancy?

Dr. Aafiya Almas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 27-year-old female, and I am pregnant. I have a severe dry cough for the past four weeks. At night it gets worst and hard for me to breathe. What can be the cause?

Do you have a question on Pregnancy or Dry Cough?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Aafiya Almas

M.B.B.S
Family Physician General Practitioner

Well, there is nothing to worry about dry cough during pregnancy because it is a normal. There are various causes for dry cough during pregnancy like allergies, asthma, bronchospasm, rhinitis of pregnancy, heartburn, or weakened immune system. Well, you can soothe your dry cough symptoms by drinking plenty of lukewarm water. While you go to bed, try to sleep in an elevated position by elevating your head by pillows. Also, you can go for honey. Take orange juice as it will boost your immune system.

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.
Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full >>
Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full

How to cure dry cough which disturbs sleep?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is suffering from thyroid, high uric acid (6.8) and BP. Due to which she is not able to sleep and has cough from two weeks. She has been taking the medicines recommended to her. Please help.  Read Full >>
Dr. Krishna Somani
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What is your mother's age? How is her blood pressure now? Is it controlled or not? Is she diabetic? Just tell me all her medications so that I can advise accordingly. Revert back with the asked details to a general medicine physician online¬†-->https://www.icliniq.com/...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now