Q. Can I continue the pregnancy happened after intake of i-pill?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have taken i-pill (72 hours) within 18 hours of intercourse but still, I got pregnant. Will it cause any bad effect on the baby during pregnancy or after delivery? Can I continue this pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Generally, i-pill (emergency contraceptive pill) does not cause any serious effects on pregnancy. But, you need to follow up with sonography at 11 weeks and double market test at 11-12 weeks to make sure that everything is fine.

| 

Does it mean there is some risk? Yesterday I had an ultrasound, and it shows a normal 5 weeks of pregnancy. It is my second pregnancy. I am having a daughter before with normal delivery and she is 4 years old now. After my first delivery, I got back muscles weak and a year ago I was diagnosed with disc bulge at L5-S1 and L4-L5 levels. With this pregnancy, I feel the back pain can increase as back muscles are not strong. But, my condition is much better now with rest, exercise and walk.

Can I continue this pregnancy with i-pill effect and back pain? Or should I discontinue? I need to take a decision today to take pills for abortion. Please guide me, doctor.

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If any serious problem occurred during pregnancy, then it will be aborted by itself in maybe a couple of weeks. At this point in time, no one can say what will happen in the future. If you are strongly keen on the continuation of pregnancy, then you can continue. Do the tests which I have advised you after a few weeks. If any complications occur at that time, then pregnancy can be terminated until 12 weeks of pregnancy and with serious complications up to 20 weeks. After 20 weeks, abortion is not an option.

About back pain, if it is controlled now then it is less likely that it will affect your pregnancy.

| 

Thanks for the reply. But my concern is, can the low risk of i-pill cause any damage in the fetus brain or affect any other development? Regarding the disc problem, I am concerned with my weight gain and pain during delivery. I am doubtful and 50-50% to continue the pregnancy. If I take abortion pills, will it affect my current health? I heard the body will become weak after the abortion? Will it affect any of my future pregnancy? I did not experience miscarriage or abortion so far, hence I am more concerned. Kindly do reply.

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, the risk of the baby getting affected is there. The risk is very low but not zero.

Your body may get weak after abortion. You might need rest for one or two weeks after abortion. But, it will never affect your future pregnancy.

| 

Thank you so much doctor. Did you come across any such incident where the patient has taken i-pill and continued safe pregnancy without any effect? I had only one dose after completing my period of 5 days, i.e., I had i-pill on the 5th day of my cycle. I had copper-T for 3 years after my first delivery and I removed it before 5 months.

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, I have seen two cases. Both the patients took i-pill, got pregnant and continued the pregnancy. Both delivered a healthy baby at 9 months with no complications.

|