Q. What is the chance of survival of premature twins born at 25 weeks?

Dr. Amit Modi

I prematurely gave birth to twins on the 18th at 25 weeks and two days. The reason behind it was told to me that my regular gynecologist did not put some closure on my uterus to avoid premature birth, which is a common issue in twins. Mine was a normal delivery. My boy was born at 865 g and girl at 585 g. They have now survived for over 45 hours in the NICU. The doctors have just been telling me that the children are alive and breathing. That is all they tell me. I am still very worried. What are the chances of such children to survive in NICU after they have survived for several hours in most odd conditions? I know they are going through the toughest challenges to breathe through their underdeveloped body but I still want to get a generic view. All their body parts have been found to be growing and fine in the last level-2 ultrasound.

Do you have a question on Premature Baby or Twin Pregnancy Complication?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Amit Modi

MBBS., MD (PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

Both your babies are extremely premature as well as extremely low birth weight. The main complication that arises is due to incomplete development of lung. So, immediate surfactant therapy and oxygen support would be required.

The next common complication is sepsis. Complete asepsis is to be maintained. Tertiary level NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) care which should be handled by qualified neonatologist is the primary requirement. A complete aseptic environment is to be created.

In my practice, I have very mixed experience in the prognosis. I have seen these babies succumbing mainly to the sepsis.

As per me, the baby with more weight has a better prognosis. It also depends on the level of NICU care being provided.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you so much. The babies are kept in the NICU at a reputed center, and doctors were talking about temperature and all. I guess it is just left for me to wait.

Dr. Amit Modi

MBBS., MD (PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

It is good that they have a good NICU setup. I am sure their doctors will do their best.

You should just wait and watch. The doctors must convey the development to you as per their time.

Also Read Answers From: Premature Baby Twin Pregnancy Complication

Is it safe to take a prematurely born six month old baby to a hill station during winter?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a premature baby girl who was born at 800 g. She is now 6 months old by actual age and 4 months by adjusted. We have to attend a very close family wedding at a nearby hill station which is very cold at this time of the year. She weighs 4.82 kg now. Being born premature and...  Read Full »
Dr. Sudeb Mukherjee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no absolute contraindication to attend the wedding. A premature baby is more susceptible to infections (common cough and cold) as the immunity is low. At present, her weight is within the normal range considering premature nature of birth. Take ...  Read Full »

How can I improve my health after an abortion?
Query: Hello doctor,I had to undergo an abortion last month for twin discordance at my fourth month. It was performed as a normal delivery and again D and C was done within a week due to placenta remains. I had severe vomiting and my food intake was very poor during the pregnancy. Now, I am having issues w...  Read Full »
Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. After an abortion weakness is mainly due to blood loss. So, if you are taking any iron supplementation then continue that. If not, then start taking iron supplements. You can start Ayurvedic medicines for iron supplementation. Take tablet Sa...  Read Full »

What are the diet restrictions for gestational diabetes?
Query: Hello¬†doctor, My wife is 22 weeks pregnant. It is a dichorionic diamniotic twin pregnancy. Her fasting sugar level is 6.9. The doctor suggested taking insulin injection. Is it safe to take insulin during pregnancy? Could you suggest some tips to follow or any diet recommendations, please? Also, we ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Insulin is safe in pregnancy, but I need some clarification with respect to the fasting blood sugar values. If it is 69 mg%, then it is normal. I would like to see her blood sugar reports of the tests which were done previously or the result of the glucose tolerance te...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now