Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am 42. Can I conceive twins without any risks?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am a 42 year old woman. Can I still conceive? Also, can I conceive twins without any risks?

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

How are you doing?

  • As per your history, the only risk factor is your age. Let me explain, if I may.
  • Every lady is born with a fixed number of eggs in her ovaries. As her age advances, every month she keeps ovulating out or expelling these eggs. The healthiest ones are chosen first, as they have the best or maximum hormone receptors. So, as you can imagine, after every period, your ovaries have lesser healthier eggs than the previous period. So by age of 40 years, almost all the good eggs are over.
  • But, this is only statistics. The oldest lady to conceive naturally was 45 years. My own patient had a triplet pregnancy at 41 yrs. Though usually, the chances decrease, it is not absent. So, do not lose hope.
  • I cannot say if you will get twins, but the definite way to get pregnant is:
  1. Get your serum AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone) tested within the first 10 days after the periods. If the value is more than 1.1 ng/mL then you have eggs in the ovaries. Higher the value, better the result. Then, you can undergo ovulation induction, with hMG (human menopausal gonadotropin) injections and tablets. Then, more eggs will be released and there are chances of multiple pregnancies. AMH is only a quantitative test. It will not tell us about the quality of the eggs.
  2. If the value of AMH is low, then the best option is to have donor IVF, where an egg will be taken in the lab, from a known or unknown donor, and your husband's sperm will be injected into the eggs. The embryos so formed will be frozen in your name. They can be transferred at a specific time, usually two at a time. So, there can still be twins, not more.

Do not lose hope, there is a solution for every problem. Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
I had IVF failure twice. Please guide me.
What Clomid dose is recommended for a 42-year-old with AMH of 0.35?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am 25 and my partner is 72. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old female and my AMH level is 1.12 and my partner is 72 years old. Can I get pregnant?  Read Full »

Will follicular study help me conceive?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to conceive since 5 to 6 months, but I am not able to. I am not on any medication nor have any problems. I did all tests, which were all normal. My cycle is 28 days and always regular. Please help. What to do? What is a follicular study? Can I do that?  Read Full »

Is there any cure for adenomyosis in Siddha?

Query: Hello doctor,Any cure for adenomyosis in Siddha? I am 37 and had two miscarriages and two ectopic. Only left tube is available and both the ovaries are normal. I am suffering from adenomyosis. Please advise Siddha medicine.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.