Q. I am 42. Can I conceive twins without any risks?

I am a 42 year old woman. Can I still conceive? Also, can I conceive twins without any risks?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

• As per your history, the only risk factor is your age. Let me explain, if I may.
  • Every lady is born with a fixed number of eggs in her ovaries. As her age advances, every month she keeps ovulating out or expelling these eggs. The healthiest ones are chosen first, as they have the best or maximum hormone receptors. So, as you can imagine, after every period, your ovaries have lesser healthier eggs than the previous period. So by age of 40 years, almost all the good eggs are over.
  • But, this is only statistics. The oldest lady to conceive naturally was 45 years. My own patient had a triplet pregnancy at 41 yrs. Though usually, the chances decrease, it is not absent. So, do not lose hope.
  • I cannot say if you will get twins, but the definite way to get pregnant is:
  1. Get your serum AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone) tested within the first 10 days after the periods. If the value is more than 1.1 ng/mL then you have eggs in the ovaries. Higher the value, better the result. Then, you can undergo ovulation induction, with hMG (human menopausal gonadotropin) injections and tablets. Then, more eggs will be released and there are chances of multiple pregnancies. AMH is only a quantitative test. It will not tell us about the quality of the eggs.
  2. If the value of AMH is low, then the best option is to have donor IVF, where an egg will be taken in the lab, from a known or unknown donor, and your husband's sperm will be injected into the eggs. The embryos so formed will be frozen in your name. They can be transferred at a specific time, usually two at a time. So, there can still be twins, not more.

Do not lose hope, there is a solution for every problem. Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|