Q. I suffer from premature ejaculation. What has to be done?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Jun 03, 2018

I suffer from premature ejaculation. Kindly help.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Premature ejaculation can be managed by two approaches:

1. Non-pharmacological management. It includes behavioral therapy namely start-stop technique, squeezes technique and coitus interruption. You can google them and start practicing any one of the above-mentioned technique.
  2. Drug therapy. It includes a drug from SSRI (selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor) groups such as Fluoxetine 20 mg in the morning or Paroxetine 12.5 mg in evening daily or tablet Dapoxetine 30 mg one hour prior to sexual activity. As SSRI has the side effects of delay ejaculation so that property is used to manage premature ejaculation. These are prescription only drugs so you need to consult a psychiatrist in person.

It is advisable that you first try the behavior method to manage premature ejaculation. It is difficult initially to practice them but over the period you can learn them, and the effect of these techniques are longer lasting. Also, drug treatment shows its effect after few days and initially it may not be evident but within a week or two, it shows its effect. Also, try to spend enough time during foreplay.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Can I take these drugs even though I do take no tablets daily?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

You can take any one of the above-mentioned tablets, but as mentioned earlier that the effect of the tablet will be evident by one or two weeks. But most of the time tablet Dapoxetine can be taken as when required basis, it need not be taken daily, rest other tablet needs to be taken daily. You need a prescription for the drug as these are prescription only drugs. Again, nonpharmacological treatment is to be practiced for better and long lasting effect.

I meant I am taking BP control tablets daily. Is it fine to take Dapoxetine?

What are the drugs of choice for social anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. I have been suffering from social anxiety for the past one year. Although I was extremely shy as a child and up to about 25 years of age. After that, I overcame my social anxiety and became confident. I managed somehow not to care about other peoples opinion abou...  Read Full »

Will my anxiety relapse if I stop SSRI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male who was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety, eight years back. Initially, I was prescribed Paxil 20 mg, which helped treat my anxiety and depression but I started having side effects of weight gain, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction. When I st...  Read Full »

I have premature ejaculation after getting circumcised. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I had phimosis, so I got circumcised two years ago. But now, I have premature ejaculation after circumcision. I also have loss of sensation in my penis. Before circumcision, I enjoyed masturbating, but now I do not feel such enjoyment. What can I do? Was the decision to get circumcised wro...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now