Q. Why can I not last longer than a minute with my girlfriend?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I am 21 years old and healthier than a horse, but I cannot last longer than one minute with my girlfriend and want it to change. Last night was the second time it had happened, and I am getting frustrated.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description, it appears that you are suffering from premature ejaculation, which is one of the common sexual problems among young individuals. Premature ejaculation can be treated or controlled with the help of behavioral methods and medications. Few individuals need a combination of both to achieve desired results.

The behavioral techniques can be practiced during sex and do not yield benefits from the first day. It may take few weeks before the ejaculation latency becomes satisfactory. Even your partner can also help you with some of the techniques, such as the squeeze technique.

These techniques are very difficult to explain here in detail, but I can name a few of the most popular or most effective so you can have an opinion before practicing any of them.

Techniques are:

1. Squeeze technique.

2. Start-stop method.

3. Interruption technique.

4. Kegel exercise.

There are best results with the kegel technique among my patients with premature ejaculation. Premature ejaculation can also be controlled with medications.

SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) antidepressants cause delayed ejaculation as a side effect, and this side effect is used therapeutically in the treatment of premature ejaculation. These medications are as following:

Tablet. Paxil (Paroxetine).

Tablet. Prozac (Fluoxetine).

Tablet. Zoloft (Sertraline).

These medications need to be taken every day, and the effect becomes evident in one to two weeks.

Another strategy is to take the drug one hour before sex. Another antidepressant medication, Sustinex (Dapoxetine) is given one hour before sex, and it causes delayed ejaculation.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

Thanks and regards.

Are any of those medications over the counter medications that can be temporarily used while i practice some of the other techniques??
# Dear Bon,
Thanks for follow up.

Unfortunately none of the medication, used for premature ejaculation, is available over the counter and need prescription to buy any of them.

However for time being I think you can go for Kegel exercise which often yields results in few weeks. In addition you can opt for interruption technique where the male partner withdraws penis just before ejaculation and continues penetrative sex after a while.

The market also have option of medicated condoms which are often available as long lasting and can be used as temporary measure for problem of premature ejaculation.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks again.

|