Q. Why am I suffering from premature graying of hair?

Dr. Neha Sud
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020
hi doctor,

i am suffering from premature greying of hair. i am just 19.it was started 2-3 three years ago. earlier they were just only 2-3 but now it has been coming more and more for a month. i have started applying amla, shikhkai, ritha and still applying it.
everyday i wake up and find one more grey hair.
#

Premature greying can happen coz of multiple causes, though the most strong association is genetic, if any of your parents started greying early there is a high chance that you may too start early, earlier than them too.

Other causes less common but that can be associated are vitamin deficiencies and hormonal causes So I would suggest you get few tests done to rule out the same, as mentioned below Timely correction can help reverse the process in a small fraction of people

It’s majorly an irreversible process and needs cover up for which we have options like henna, colour

You can continue the concoction that you are using if that suits you hair, no harm done. Let’s rule out any underlying deficiency and then give a trial of medications/ applications which if they show any improvement/ results would be mostly in the first 2-3 months of applications and intake. Hope this was helpful

CBC
Thyroid profile
Ferritin levels
Vit B12 levels

Follow with reports

|