Q. Can having sex soon after abortion lead to pregnancy?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2018

I recently had a vacuum abortion in the first trimester three days ago and just had sexual intercourse two days later. Currently, I am on my last day of antibiotics given by the hospital and will start on Microgynon tomorrow. I am afraid of getting pregnant again. Do I have to immediately go to the nearest clinic and get an emergency contraceptive? Am I allowed to take that after all that has happened? I am currently on Metronidazole and Paracetamol. Please help.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Since you just had an abortion, there is no chance of pregnancy as there is no ovulation happening during this period.

So relax and do not worry.

You need not take any medication, but be very careful next time.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I was also advised to not have sexual intercourse for two weeks though, why is that so? Will the intercourse affect me in any way?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

That is because you are too weak now, you had blood loss and your chances of acquiring infections are high.

You need to recover both physically and mentally.

The uterus is not completely prepared for any strain.

That is the only reason for abstinence.

So relax and do not worry.

|