Q. I took Deviry one week ago and still did not get my periods. Why?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have a query about my menstrual cycle. I am 29-year-old. I have missed my periods for 40 days now. I am experiencing random mood swings. I also took Deviry about one week back, and I have still not got it. I took a urine pregnancy test three days back, and it was negative. Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern. With the present stressful pandemic situation, a lot of our menstrual cycles have become irregular. It could be due to stress, weight change, change in diet and exercise regime, inactivity, etc. Hence period irregularity over two to three months could be a temporary change and will get back to normal.

But if you are experiencing irregular periods for more than six months, then you need to get urself checked.

Now coming to the cause of your present symptoms, a delayed period with the absence of pregnancy could be one of the reasons I mentioned above. The mood swings are due to hormonal imbalance caused by delayed periods. So kindly do not stress. Bleeding due to Deviry (Progestin) takes five to ten days. So kindly wait for a couple of more days. The right dose for Deviry is 5 to 10 mg twice daily for five days. Hopefully, you have taken the right dose. If not, you will have to repeat your dose (after waiting for a couple more days). Even after repeating the dose, if the period does not occur, kindly consult a gynecologist for a further line of action.

I hope this was helpful.

|