Q. Kindly explain the TRUS guided prostate biopsy report and further treatment.

Dr. Raguram Ganesamoni
Published on Dec 15, 2018

The patient is a 59-year-old male with whose weight is 52.3 kg and height is 166 cm. His PSA was 247.5. He had a TRUS guided biopsy, and the report is as follows.

1. Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.2. Gleason grade 4+4.3. Perineural invasion present.

What does the biopsy report say? What will be the next step? What medicine should the patient take at the initial stage before any surgery? The patient is on Tamdura for the prostate issue and Diamicron MR 30 for diabetes.

Dr. Raguram Ganesamoni

Andrology Urology
#

I am sorry to know about the problem. The biopsy report says that prostate has a cancer disease. Since PSA is very high, it means that there is a chance that it has spread outside the prostate.

The next step will be PSMA PET scan to find out the areas in the body affected by prostate cancer. If this scan is not available, you can get an MRI scan of the abdomen to check local involvement or lymph node involvement along with bone scan to find out bone metastasis.

The treatment depends on the stage of disease. If it has spread to bones, then bilateral orchidectomy (removal of testes) is the standard treatment. If the patient does not want orchidectomy, then can get regular injections (once in 3 months) to suppress the testicular function. The patient should also take injection Zoledronic acid once in every 3-4 weeks to control bone spread. Other than these, there is a need for calcium supplements and iron supplements.

Please consult the Urologist for regular follow up, since the treatment needs to be modified according to the response of PSA and clinical factors.

PSMA PET scan or MRI abdomen with bone scan.

Metastatic carcinoma prostate.

| 

Do you recommend surgery for my prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on active surveillance for the last 2 years. My initial prostate biopsy was 2 years ago and showed 1 out of 10 needles cancerous, Gleason 6, slow growing and Prolaris test showing a medium growth rate. I had second biopsy 6 months ago. Before the second biopsy, my PSA was 5 and four ...  Read Full »

Prostate Cancer, a Nightmare

Article Overview: Prostate cancer is a man's worst nightmare, as it one of the most common diseases in men. Learn about its stages, symptoms, and treatment. Read Article

Dr. Ahmed Elhaged
Medical Oncologist

What Is Prostate Cancer? Prostate is a gland within men's body structure which is important for the vital activity of sperms. Prostate can be a nightmare over the age of 50 years, as this gland can become a deadly cancerous organ that will lead to death. Researches indicate that prostate cancer is ...  Read Article

Ask an Andrologist Now