Q. Why is MRI required even after a normal prostate biopsy?

I am 64 years old and I just had my first prostate biopsy. Out of 10 samples, only one contained cancer. Gleason 6 (3+3). DRE normal. PSA 4.4. PSA has gone up and down over four years with 4.5 the highest, 3.75 lowest. Recent 4K score 9%. Recent PCA3 17%. I was relieved with biopsy, but urologist wants to do a follow-up MRI to rule out any hidden cancers.

Why did not he do this before biopsy? Is this insurance related? By the way, my prostate measured 60 grams. I am an active healthy guy. I take Simvastatin for cholesterol and Losartan 100 mg for blood pressure. I just want your advice on why MRI is indicated.