Q. I have difficulty urinating and prostate enlargement. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

I have a sleep disorder, anxiety, panic disorder, high blood pressure, and prostate enlargement for a week. I have difficulty in urinating for two weeks.

#

Prostate enlargement occurs commonly after 50 years of age and it causes symptoms like difficulty in passing urine. Doing investigations like ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) and prostate will help to know the size of the prostate and other abnormalities in the urinary tract like stones or obstruction. Urine tests help to rule out infection and blood test helps to check kidney functions. PSA (prostate-specific antigen) is important to evaluate the effect of prostate enlargement. It can be treated by having good hydration and avoiding constipation.

Taking a high-fiber diet helps a lot. Medical treatment has to be started first and check for the improvement of symptoms before going for surgical treatment. You need to do tests to know the value of serum creatinine, PSA, urine analysis, ultrasound KUB including prostate. Have a follow-up with your results. You can start taking Doudart (Dutasteride and Tamsulosin hydrochloride) one capsule at night before bed daily. It has to be taken for long-term if it is effective and further treatment is not required. If it gets failed, then you need surgical treatment.

|