Q. Do you recommend surgery for my prostate cancer?

Answered by
Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am on active surveillance for the last 2 years. My initial prostate biopsy was 2 years ago and showed 1 out of 10 needles cancerous, Gleason 6, slow growing and Prolaris test showing a medium growth rate. I had second biopsy 6 months ago. Before the second biopsy, my PSA was 5 and four months after the second biopsy, PSA was 16. My doctor recommended an MRI based upon the elevated PSA.

An MRI was done 2 weeks ago. Prostate volume 81 cc and two lesions were found. First lesion measuring 0.7 cm x 0.6 cm x 0.7 cm, Pi Rads 4, well contained mid gland and the second lesion 1.2 cm x 0.6 cm x 0.7 cm, ungraded, margins not sharply defined and a slight bowing of the capsule. I have had intermittent infections after the second biopsy and been on a three regimens of antibiotics. I have also experienced retrograde ejaculation after second biopsy. I am thinking that the second biopsy caused my elevated PSA (5 to 16), swelling of my prostate and perhaps I can remain on active surveillance with antibiotics since the MRI showed my cancer being well contained. I am wondering if I should have surgery as recommended by my urologist to remove my prostate.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your details.

  • My main concern is the rise of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) from 5 to 16.
  • Though it might be due to infection, since three months you are taking treatment of infections. So, your PSA should have reduced if the rise was due to infection.
  • At present, you are in the best stage and shape to get rid of cancer by radical prostatectomy.
  • I suggest that you should undergo surgery and get rid of it. Also, you are only 62 years. Since life expectancy is more at some stage, you have to get rid of it before it progress more.
  • So, I suggest you better do it now than later or too late. Take care.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why is my husband having painless hematuria since a year?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband who is 36 years old, is having painless hematuria since last year. The episodes are not defined, it is present for a month or sometimes as less as a week. MRI, CT scan, and cystoscopy, all show normal findings except hyperemia in the bladder. There are stones in his kidney,...  Read Full »

Will surgery for BPH prevent prostate cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding my father. He is 65 years old. He suffers from BPH from the last five years and takes Alfusin-D for the same. Five years back, when he was diagnosed, his PSA was 2.8 ng. Last year, we repeated his test and the PSA was 0.9 ng/ml with normal DRE. An ultrasound of ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.