Q. Does chronic constipation lead to prostatitis?

Dr. Gopinath

I am 27 years old. I have been suffering from bladder and lower back pain for about six months now. I have been to the doctor several times and each time the test was negative for infection. I used to get relief from symptoms once I take the antibiotics, but the pain will recur.

I do not have frequent urgency to urinate. My urine is clear, and there is no burning sensation associated with urination. I suffer from chronic constipation, and my primary physician feels it might be from stool backed up in that area and prescribed me Linzess. I have been taking for two days and still have back pain. The pain never gets unbearable, usually a level 2-4 on pain scale.

After all research, I feel it may be prostatitis. I am terrified to see a urologist in fear of rectal exam as I have a phobia of this. I had several blood panels done, kidney and liver function tests everything is perfect. My x-ray indicated lower back spasms and backed up stools. No kidney or bladder problems. I am becoming very upset because I read there is no effective way to treat non-bacterial prostatitis. Is there a way my urologist can test for this without a digital rectal exam? I also have some dull testicle pain from time to time. This is becoming such an annoyance and ruining my daily life. Any help will be thoroughly appreciated.

Do you have a question on Prostatitis or Constipation?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Gopinath

MBBS., MS GEN SURG., DNB GEN SURG., MCH UROLOGY
Urology

As you suspect the symptoms might be due to chronic prostatitis or a similar entity chronic prostatic pain syndrome. It needs a per rectal examination. Per rectal examination is not that painful as you suspect.

Urine culture after a per rectal examination will turn to be positive if it is chronic prostatitis. It needs a 4-week course of Trimethoprim, alpha-blocker drugs, and anti-inflammatory drugs. It has to be treated with Trimethoprim or Levofloxacin.

Secondary to UTI (urinary tract infection).

Chronic prostatic pain syndrome.

My urologist after check up suspects prostatitis and prescribed tablet Augmentin XR 1000 mg two tablets twice daily for 14 days. He would like to rule out any potential infection. Should I be worried taking such a large dose of such medication? I feel that 4000 mg a day is very high. I was originally given Cipro but had horrible side effects. Please let me know your professional opinion regarding the prescription given and should I take the tablet as prescribed? Thank you.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology

My personal opinion is that you may need Tablet Trimethoprim 100 mg twice a day for six weeks. Only two groups of antibiotics penetrate the prostate well. One is the Ciprofloxacin group of drugs and another is Trimethoprim.

Augmentin may not be helpful for this prostatic infection. Augmentin is a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid. It is a chronic infection and keeps recurring sooner or later. Hence a prolonged course has a high chance of eradicating the infection.

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »
Dr. Akant Kaushal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of burning sensation in anus following stools will be the consumption of spicy food. Another cause can be constipation, which can cause fissures around the anus. If this is the condition, apply Diltiazem gel 2 % three to four times a day for se...  Read Full »

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Diabetes is not curable but controllable. The first line in the management of type 2 diabetes is lifestyle modifications. Fasting should not be higher than 110, postprandial should not be higher than 140, and HbA1c should not be higher than 7.5. My advice: Healthy di...  Read Full »

Can disc herniation cause testicular pain and make my testicles to retract?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48 year old male. Ten days back, I noticed that my testicles has moved up and are receding into my groin. I also have a dull pain in the testicles. This pain is not always there, but it happens on and off. I am worried that this may be a serious condition. Could you please l...  Read Full »
Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your pain. The most important condition to exclude when a testicle becomes high-riding with associated pain would be testicular torsion (twisting and occlusion of blood supply to testicle). Torsion is however incredibly rare in older males and occ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now