Q. Does chronic constipation lead to prostatitis?

Answered by
Dr. Gopinath
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am 27 years old. I have been suffering from bladder and lower back pain for about six months now. I have been to the doctor several times and each time the test was negative for infection. I used to get relief from symptoms once I take the antibiotics, but the pain will recur.

I do not have frequent urgency to urinate. My urine is clear, and there is no burning sensation associated with urination. I suffer from chronic constipation, and my primary physician feels it might be from stool backed up in that area and prescribed me Linzess. I have been taking for two days and still have back pain. The pain never gets unbearable, usually a level 2-4 on pain scale.

After all research, I feel it may be prostatitis. I am terrified to see a urologist in fear of rectal exam as I have a phobia of this. I had several blood panels done, kidney and liver function tests everything is perfect. My x-ray indicated lower back spasms and backed up stools. No kidney or bladder problems. I am becoming very upset because I read there is no effective way to treat non-bacterial prostatitis. Is there a way my urologist can test for this without a digital rectal exam? I also have some dull testicle pain from time to time. This is becoming such an annoyance and ruining my daily life. Any help will be thoroughly appreciated.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

As you suspect the symptoms might be due to chronic prostatitis or a similar entity chronic prostatic pain syndrome. It needs a per rectal examination. Per rectal examination is not that painful as you suspect.

Urine culture after a per rectal examination will turn to be positive if it is chronic prostatitis. It needs a 4-week course of Trimethoprim, alpha-blocker drugs, and anti-inflammatory drugs. It has to be treated with Trimethoprim or Levofloxacin.

The Probable causes:

Secondary to UTI (urinary tract infection).

Differential diagnosis:

Chronic prostatic pain syndrome.

Hi doctor,

My urologist after check up suspects prostatitis and prescribed tablet Augmentin XR 1000 mg two tablets twice daily for 14 days. He would like to rule out any potential infection. Should I be worried taking such a large dose of such medication? I feel that 4000 mg a day is very high. I was originally given Cipro but had horrible side effects. Please let me know your professional opinion regarding the prescription given and should I take the tablet as prescribed? Thank you.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

My personal opinion is that you may need Tablet Trimethoprim 100 mg twice a day for six weeks. Only two groups of antibiotics penetrate the prostate well. One is the Ciprofloxacin group of drugs and another is Trimethoprim.

Augmentin may not be helpful for this prostatic infection. Augmentin is a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid. It is a chronic infection and keeps recurring sooner or later. Hence a prolonged course has a high chance of eradicating the infection.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

.. can be either bacterial, fungal, viral or non-infectious. The most common being fungal. It is difficult to say without seeing your clinical picture. Please attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comme...   Read full

What is the reason for testicular pain and burning sensation in the leg?

.. can happen due to any cause like a simple infection of virus or bacteria. So you do not have to worry about it. The burning sensation of the leg could be due to some allergy or something. Your problems are in mind and not the body. You are anxious...   Read full

Which drug works better for throat infection,Augmentin or Azithromycin?

.. do not care about throat infection when it is mild and then it gets worsened and causes undue discomfort. Regarding choice of appropriate antibiotic, it is very important to know your history. It includes previous use of recent antibiotic, presenc...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.