Q. Is there a chance of HIV transmission when condom has moved during vaginal sex?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I am worried when I use a condom and when condom in vaginal sex a little bit goes up and down on penis, and vaginal fluid is on end of the penis, end of the penis (cca 2 cm) is not always covered with condom then I am in panic and ask my self can I be infected in this way and should be tested on HIV? And I ask my self for vaginal fluid he has at all enough strength to affect a healthy man without sti?

I knew it is hard to get HIV in unprotected vaginal sex 0.01 % to 0.03 %, but still, I am worried, and I cannot relax and enjoy in protected sex. Please, can you help me and maybe encouraged me.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The virus can not permeate through the intact condom. The amount of protection given by barrier contraceptive (condom) is not only​ for HIV but also for other sexually transmitted infections. Research has ample evidence to suggest that condom forms a valuable part of HIV prevention.Only certain body fluids like blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid, rectal fluids, vaginal fluid, and breast milk from a person who has HIV can transmit it (CDC).

When there is unprotected sexual intercourse, the virus enters through cuts and sores or directly through mucous membranes​. Mucous membranes are found inside the rectum, vaginal, penis, and mouth. Your risk of contracting HIV when consistently and correctively using a condom, and it did not break while sex, is non-existent. So, relax and enjoy your protected sex. Another thing, there is no harm in knowing your HIV test, for this, you can get HIV rapid test at an accredited lab. I hope my answer could decrease your anxiety but do revert if you have any more question.

| 

Will using two condoms during sex prevent transmission of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex four months back with using two condoms at a time and later I realized that using two condoms at a time is not safe. So, I have taken HIV tridot test two months back and fourth generation test last month and again tridot test this month. All are negative. So should I need to te...  Read Full »

I had protected sex with multiple partners. What is the risk of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and I had sex with two female partners, three months back. I had vaginal and oral sex. The intercourse lasted for about five minutes, twice with each partner. I had a condom on throughout the time. Starting a week or so later, I had a pimple-like bump at the edge ...  Read Full »

After having protected sex, I bled very less during my period. Can I be pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old girl. Last month on 22nd, I had protected sex. And on 28th, I got two or three drops of bleeding, and it was my date of periods. After that, I did not get any periods. Am I pregnant?  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now