Q. I am in testosterone replacement therapy and my PSA got increased. Please advice.

My prostate-specific antigen (PSA) value has got increased by 30 % from 0.8 ng/mL to 1.1 ng/mL. I am in testosterone replacement therapy also. Please advice.

Dr. Devendra
MCH UROLOGY., MS SURGERY., MBBS
Urology

The absolute PSA (prostate-specific antigen) level is in the range where it is not of much concern. But the rise in PSA is bothersome if it rises more than 0.75 ng/mL per year. For a young patient like you, even this rise in rate needs to be assessed. Testosterone replacement can also be a cause of this rise. Please mention about the reason for taking testosterone replacement therapy.

I was diagnosed with low testosterone before five years, and I am taking testosterone injection 100 ml per week.

Dr. Devendra
MCH UROLOGY., MS SURGERY., MBBS
Urology

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have to repeat PSA after three months. Also, it is not necessary to take continuous testosterone replacement for a low borderline level. At present, it is not of much concern. Repeat it after three months. You can do pranayama or yoga along with other exercises to improve the general wellbeing.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old transwoman. I am looking forward to start HRT. I need some advice from you to start on HRT for male to female transition. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you need to know what medications to be taken for HRT (hormone replacement therapy)? Do you like to know about the fitness or investigations before starting HRT? Or are you asking for the safety? Do let me know what you want to know exactly. Revert back with the answe...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old. My height is 182 cm and weight is 90 kg. I do not have the habit of smoking, but I drink. Please go through my blood reports. I have been facing erectile dysfunction for the last one year. I have tried Megalis (Tadalafil) and Manforce (Sildenafil citrate). When...  Read Full »
Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your testosterone level of 132 ng/dL is suggestive of hypogonadism (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your HbA1c (glycosylated hemoglobin) of 6.2% is suggestive of prediabetes. Have you had diabetes ever? Have you taken any medications for diabetes? Diabet...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35 year old male. I have been suffering from erectile dysfunction and have tried PDE-5 inhibitors. They work, but they do not give results anymore. I quit smoking, a few years ago, when I was diagnosed with ED. My morning erection is also not as strong as it used to be. Many chec...  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Penile injections are tried in severe cases of erectile dysfunction (ED). Usually, it is prescribed by a urologist, since tests like penile doppler and others have to be done, to rule out any other issues. It is an option if nothing else works. But again, it is not ver...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, My father is diagnosed with prostatic adenocarcinoma. His biopsy reports show Gleason's grade 3+4 (% of 4 is 30%), tumor involves 60 % of submitted biopsy. No perineural invasion is seen. His PSA level is 107.69 ng/mL. He has triple vessel heart disease, and the echo result showed EP...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You can get a staging workup with PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen) scan or bone scan and MRI pelvis. His high PSA (prostate-specific antigen) does make him high risk, but considering his age, I will not suggest a very aggressive approach to the case.If the prost...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor,My query is related to PSA values. Please look into the attachment. The person is currently suffering from a thrombosed hemorrhoid vein. The treatment which the doctor has proposed is Movicol a stool softener 1-0-0, Daflon 2-2-2-0 for the first four days and afterwards for three more days...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66 year old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated: PSA - 9.8 ng/mL. Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL. Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %. I went back to another doctor a few weeks ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sandhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After analysis of the history provided, I would like to give you a brief idea of the same. Firstly PSA (prostate-specific antigen) varies with age. As the age advances, it keeps increasing. Secondly, in spite of that, the PSA level mentioned in your report is in a hig...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask an Urologist »