Q. Please suggest medicine for my laughing problem.

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2021

I have a problem with laughing. I laugh without any reason, and I cannot control the laugh. I laugh while speaking to others or on the phone without reason. It is a problem to me and my career. I cannot do a job with this laughing problem. I have seen on the internet that laughing without any reason is PBA. Please suggest me medicine to cure the problem.

#

• I carefully read your question and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to pseudobulbar affect. For this reason, I would first recommend performing a brain MRI to investigate the possible causes underlying your symptoms.
  • An electromyography is also necessary to exclude possible ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis).
  • Regarding medication, I suggest trying Nuedexta (Dextromethorphan and Quinidine). It is the only specific drug for this condition. But, it should be given under medical prescription.
  • Other drugs to consider would be antidepressants like Sertraline or Paroxetine.

Stroke, dementia and ALS.

Brain MRI.

Nuedexta.

For further information consult a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I searched for Nuedexta tablets, but I did not find anywhere. Can you please suggest me any other name with same formula and dosage?

#

• It contains Dextromethorphan and Quinidine. If you do not find it, then I would suggest Sertraline 50 mg daily.
  • You should start with half a tablet for a week and then increase the dose to 50 mg daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

Dementia and ALS.

Brain MRI.

ALS.

|