Q. My left ear is blocked when I get cough and sore throat. What should I do?

Published on Oct 15, 2019

Sometimes, I feel my left ear is blocked. It is shut when I got too much of cough and bad throat. What should I do? Please tell me.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This is due to upper respiratory tract infection. We usually prescribe tablet Azee (Azithromycin) 500 mg once a day for three days along with tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast for three days. Also, syrup Alex (Phenylephrine, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, and Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide) 2 tablespoons may be taken for cough and whenever needed up to two to three times daily. Also, you need to do Betadine gargles four times a day. You may have Otrivin (Xylometazoline) one drop two times a day if having a nose block.

You should get yourself examined by a doctor if having shortness of breath or if symptoms are worsening.

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need a proper evaluation with audiogram and impedance to prevent recurrence. I suggest you tablet Allercet L (Levocetirizine) one at night with Nasivion nasal drops two drops twice daily for five days. Please review with reports. Revert with reports to an ENT otolary...  Read Full

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During an upper respiratory tract infection, like cold, the infection can rise up to ears through the eustachian tube that connects back of nose to middle ear. That is what has happened to you during the cold. It is called eustachian tube catarrh. You need a course of ...  Read Full

Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I weigh 55 kg. l am having chest congestion and cold. The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg for three days and Levocetirizine. I am asthmatic. I am also taking Foracort 400 twice a day whenever I have a breathing problem. My symptoms are not impr...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abaranam
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have started on antibiotics, I suggest you take it for three days. For your asthma problem, you need to assess the level of airway diseases that can be done by pulmonary function test with reversibility. According to that, we have to adjust the dose of medic...  Read Full