Pseudofolliculitis

Does masturbating without lubricant result in a bump on the penis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 23 year old male and in good health. The last time I was sexually active was over two months ago, and after that, I usually would masturbate two to three times a day with no lubricant. I developed a small bump under the head of my penis. So, I looked up online and it was all HPV ...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query. From your description, it seems you have developed tractional folliculitis due to excessive masturbation. You can use topical Mupirocin ointment twice daily and take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for three days after consulting your GP ...  Read Full »

I used to pull the hairs grown on my neck, and my skin is horrible to look. How to clear my skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I started growing hair on my neck when I was about 12, and since then I have pulled the hairs out with my finger, dug the skin with my nails to get the hairs out of the bumps, used razors and also tweezers. Now my skin looks horrible is scarred up pretty mad. I am embarrassed at how m...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a case of pseudofolliculitis barbae, although a term reserved for male beard condition, you got it because of tampering and ill hair removing practices. Treatment includes manual correction of ingrown hair (visit your dermatologist) under magnification. Your...  Read Full »

Why do I get red spots after shaving?

Query: Hi doctor, A fly bit on my neck around 2-3 days back. It has lead to red spot on that area and further the spots increased with time. I am not sure whether some of the spots have come as I shaved my beard at that time as well. But, such spots have never appeared due to shaving in the past. I have a...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your complaints and seen the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to me, the small spots are due to pseudofolliculitis which is because of inflammation caused by shaved hair. I would recommend you to appl...  Read Full »

I found bumps on my pubic area, are they molluscum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had molluscum on my pubic area and my doctor said that was cleared a month ago. Today, I found two small bumps, which are 1 mm or lesser than that. One is yellowish brown in color and another one is pink in color. It might have a hair coming out of the side, but I am not sure. I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. One of the lesions looks like milia, obstruction of sweat duct, which is very close differential of molluscum contagiosum (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Another lesion just looks like pseudofolliculitis. Both of them have very less chance of sprea...  Read Full »

I have few painful bumps on my labia. Do I have an STD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old female. I have had two sexual partners. The second one is my current boyfriend. I used to shave my pubic hair all the time but started getting razor bumps from it. I decided to stop and let the hair grow out fully before attempting to shave it again. I noticed the o...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your description, I can list a few possibilities for the painful bumps over the pubic region: Folliculitis - a bacterial infection of hair follicles. Pseudofolliculitis - ingrown hair causing inflammation. Herpes genitalis - viral STD, painful blisters in g...  Read Full »