Q. I am getting red spots after shaving. Why?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2019

A fly bit on my neck around 2-3 days back. It has lead to red spot on that area and further the spots increased with time. I am not sure whether some of the spots have come as I shaved my beard at that time as well. But, such spots have never appeared due to shaving in the past. I have attached pictures of the same. Kindly guide me.

#

I have gone through your complaints and seen the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

According to me, the small spots are due to pseudofolliculitis which is because of inflammation caused by shaved hair.

I would recommend you to apply steroid antibiotic combination like Mometasone and Fusidic acid combination on the affected area twice daily for 7-10 days. Also apply the same cream on the insect bite area. If these spots are itchy take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg one tablet daily at bedtime.

Inflammation due to shaved hair.

Pseudofolliculitis.

Avoid shaving for few days.

|