Q. I get a painful boil on the pubic region after shaving. Please help.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I am 21 years old. I recently shaved my pubic region for the first time, but because of half-knowledge and no experience. I shaved in both downward and upward direction. Now I have got a boil over an ingrown hair which has turned the region red and swelled up. It pains a lot and I could see a tiny little hair which might be the reason of this. I have been using hot water compresses over it but of no help. Can someone please help me in this regard?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

From history, it seems you have developed pseudofolliculitis. But to suggest proper treatment, I need to see these lesions. So please share a photo so I can provide you treatment.

You can use Clindac A (Clindamycin phosphate) gel two times daily for seven days. I need to start you on tablets also, but I need to see these bumps to assess the severity so I can advise you complete treatment accordingly.

| 

Also, I have been taking Augmentin as the antibiotic for the past two days. Can I use this Mediwrap over this? How much time will it take to heal, it has already been four days since it developed?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, this is pseudofolliculitis. Pseudofolliculitis occurs due to shaving or waxing, causing inflammation in hair follicles.

Take Doxycycline 100 mg one tablet daily at night for seven days, apply Clindac A gel daily two times for seven days, and Enzoflam one tablet daily at night for three days.

Advice:-

Do not shave against hair growth direction. When you are shaving, apply good shaving lotion. Do not worry it will resolve in a few days.

|