Q. My skin became horrible after pulling the hairs grown in neck. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Shaunak Patel

I started growing hair on my neck when I was about 12, and since then I have pulled the hairs out with my finger, dug the skin with my nails to get the hairs out of the bumps, used razors and also tweezers. Now my skin looks horrible is scarred up pretty mad. I am embarrassed at how my neck seems to be a woman. The hairs grow so much, and I get hair bumps as well. I want to clear my skin up, so it does not look all bump and scard.

#

You have a case of pseudofolliculitis barbae, although a term reserved for male beard condition, you got it because of tampering and ill hair removing practices. Treatment includes manual correction of ingrown hair (visit your dermatologist) under magnification. Your hairs have changed their direction due to pulling. Once pulled out, they will grow normally and will not cause redness and bumps within the skin. Go for laser hair removal, which will take care of both hair growth as well as ingrown hair. Make sure it is a laser and not an IPL (intense pulse light) device. Things can be normal if you start following the right path. I hope this answers your query.

|