Q. My skin became horrible after pulling the hairs grown in neck. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 03, 2019

I started growing hair on my neck when I was about 12, and since then I have pulled the hairs out with my finger, dug the skin with my nails to get the hairs out of the bumps, used razors and also tweezers. Now my skin looks horrible is scarred up pretty mad. I am embarrassed at how my neck seems to be a woman. The hairs grow so much, and I get hair bumps as well. I want to clear my skin up, so it does not look all bump and scard.

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You have a case of pseudofolliculitis barbae, although a term reserved for male beard condition, you got it because of tampering and ill hair removing practices. Treatment includes manual correction of ingrown hair (visit your dermatologist) under magnification. Your hairs have changed their direction due to pulling. Once pulled out, they will grow normally and will not cause redness and bumps within the skin. Go for laser hair removal, which will take care of both hair growth as well as ingrown hair. Make sure it is a laser and not an IPL (intense pulse light) device. Things can be normal if you start following the right path. I hope this answers your query.

I have hair on my face, hands, and legs. Is this Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 19 year old female. I have hair on my face, hands, and legs. I have regular periods. My weight is 50 kg, and I am 153 cm tall. Is this Cushing's syndrome?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Excess unwanted hair at unusual sites requires investigation for any underlying hormonal abnormality even if the cycles are regular. It is routine to go for a few blood tests to look for any underlying hormonal abnormality. Laser hair reduction is a...  Read Full

Please explain about the physical findings and pathophysiology observed in breast cancer.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the physical findings seen in breast cancer? Please explain about the pathophysiology observed in breast cancer.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shravana Kumar Chinnikatti
Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are the physical findings found in breast cancer. There can be a painless lump or a change in breast size, skin changes, nipple inversion, nipple abnormalities or discharge, and axillary lump. The pathophysiology shows damage to DNA, and genetic changes lead to br...  Read Full

Does laser hair removal help with acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old man. I would like to ask your opinion about laser hair removal. I have read a lot in the last days and almost everywhere it is said that it is not bad for your health and body and one of the best ways to deal with hair. I am thinking about doing laser removal of hai...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The laser is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise. Let me explain to you how this laser works: When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment-producing...  Read Full