Q. Does my blood test show any objection for taking Apremilast for psoriatic arthritis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 02, 2020

I need help to interpret my blood results before taking Apremilast for PsA and in general. Previously, I took Humira. Now I am having a very serious outbreak of psoriasis. I smoke and drink, but work out regularly.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Your results except lipid profile are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Within lipid profile, LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and total cholesterol are too much deranged, but rest of the parameters like triglycerides and HDL (high density lipoprotein) are fine.

Now regarding cause for this, if your lifestyle is good then genetic versus Humira is the cause for it. Humira can cause derangements rarely in around 5-7 percent cases. So this may be related to it especially if you were receiving it until recently.

Irrespective of the cause, you will need treatment for it. Besides healthy lifestyle including less of oily fatty foods, regular exercises (as much as possible), you should be on medications atleast for six to eight weeks. So you should get some medications prescribed like Atorva 40 or Rosuvastatin 20 mg. So you need to provide some attention towards lipid profile as it can increase the risk of CAD or stroke in the future.

| 

It has been three months with no Humira. Do I need to get a prescription for Atorva or Rosuvastatin? Any reason I cannot start taking Apremilast? What happens if I take it without starting with a low dose and building as recommended?

#

All right, so you will need medications and it is probably unrelated to Humira. At some places, it is available without prescription while need at other. So you may try. Titration is important, in order to reduce the side effects and better tolerance, especially gastrointestinal side effects.

|