Q. What other options other than Cosentyx do I have for psoriatic arthritis?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

I told my dermatologist I probably have psoriatic arthritis. I have knee pain that I take Advil to get through the day at work. I was also told to get on Cosentyx, but it is too expensive for me. What other options do I have?

#

Well, it is a possibility that your knee is getting affected by psoriatic arthritis, but we should also rule out underlying osteoarthritis priorly, for which an x-ray would be sufficient (if they have done it, you can attach the reports). Secondly, I would like to know about the inflammatory markers as well as ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein). If there are no issues with the liver kidney, Methotrexate will work equally well for controlling the inflammation. It is a cheap and effective drug. Cosentyx (Secukinumab) is good for the skin but not so good for the joints.

|