Q. Post-pterygium surgery my uncle has a feeling of thick eyelid, why?

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2019

I have a question. My uncle had pterygium excision with conjunctival autograft surgery on his right eye. He was given Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution 0.3% drops for eyes. After using the drop 4 times a day for 4 days, things did not seem right. After peeling the label of the bottle he saw, he was given Ofloxacin otic solution 0.3% for ears only. I am wondering if this could have caused the issues. He is currently having a feeling as though his eyelid is thick, heavy as well as very dry. And also he is feeling as though there is a film over his eye. Do you think this could have caused permanent damage? Presently he is taking medicines for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Please help.

#

The cause for his present complaint is due to the surgical trauma induced by the surgery. In pterygium surgery, the mass of tissue is cut and scraped off and then a graft is placed to cover the defect.

Our eyes are so sensitive, that even when an eyelash accidentally falls in the eye, it becomes so uncomfortable. Now a whole area has been actually cut and the graft sutured, so definitely, until the healing is completed the symptoms of heaviness, dryness will continue. This usually takes about a month to heal.

Regarding the eye drop, I do not think it should matter much. If you can change it easily for any ophthalmic drop, then it will be better.

|