Q. Post-pterygium surgery my uncle has a feeling of thick eyelid, why?

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh
Published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2019

I have a question. My uncle had pterygium excision with conjunctival autograft surgery on his right eye. He was given Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution 0.3% drops for eyes. After using the drop 4 times a day for 4 days, things did not seem right. After peeling the label of the bottle he saw, he was given Ofloxacin otic solution 0.3% for ears only. I am wondering if this could have caused the issues. He is currently having a feeling as though his eyelid is thick, heavy as well as very dry. And also he is feeling as though there is a film over his eye. Do you think this could have caused permanent damage? Presently he is taking medicines for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Please help.

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The cause for his present complaint is due to the surgical trauma induced by the surgery. In pterygium surgery, the mass of tissue is cut and scraped off and then a graft is placed to cover the defect.

Our eyes are so sensitive, that even when an eyelash accidentally falls in the eye, it becomes so uncomfortable. Now a whole area has been actually cut and the graft sutured, so definitely, until the healing is completed the symptoms of heaviness, dryness will continue. This usually takes about a month to heal.

Regarding the eye drop, I do not think it should matter much. If you can change it easily for any ophthalmic drop, then it will be better.

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?

Query: Hello doctor, My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and En...  Read Full »

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full »