Q. Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism. What is the safest blood thinner that can be used?

Dr. Rohit Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2018

My father has been diagnosed with pulmonary embolism. What is the safest blood thinner he can use?

#

Pulmonary embolism is a serious condition. We need to deal with it on an urgent basis with higher levels of blood thinners.

The safest one is, of course, the mild ones such as Ecosprin (Aspirin), but that is not the drug of choice in pulmonary embolism in acute stages. The treatment always depends on the stage.

If the embolus is still there, we will go in for injections, low molecular weight heparins such as Enoxaparin or Dalteparin and oral ones such as Warfarin. They have dangers but are necessary and life-saving.

If the embolus has been dissolved, we can maintain on low dose Warfarin also.

Tablets such as Clopidogrel and Aspirin are not used in embolism, they are fine for heart blockages.

Revert back to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|