Please suggest a permanent solution for abdominal water retention.

Q. Can you give a permanent solution for abdominal water retention?

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 21, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 33 year old male. I am having regular water retention problem, specially on the abdomen region. It fluctuates quite a bit and so does my weight on the scale. Sometimes there is a lot of discomfort to even wear normal trousers on certain days. This, however, is most prominent on the days after consuming alcohol the previous night. This has been there for the past 3-4 years, but recently I have observed that this swollen abdomen region remains for couple of days. I have had a thyroid test last month which was normal and general health checkup every year including ECG has always been normal. I am not under any medication and no known ailments. I should also add that my LFT test was done about a year back and that was normal as well. It is just too uncomfortable on certain days to wear the usual clothes (trousers) and I would like seek a permanent solution to this problem. Kindly advise. Thank you.



Welcome to First of all we have to find the cause for this. If no cause is found then we would call it idiopathic. I would recommend you to do blood tests for hemoglobin, liver function test, kidney function test, thyroid profile, blood sugar, and urine for albumin. You should avoid alcohol, take low salt diet and do regular exercises.

Hi doctor,

Further to your reply, I must add that liver function test was conducted about a year ago and was normal. Hemoglobin, thyroid profile and blood sugar were all done two months back and were all normal including CBC and general urine test the same day. However, if you require I would do again and get you the reports. Due to my nature of work, I go through complete body checkup and general blood and urine tests every year, and nothing abnormal has been found till date. I do understand that alcohol must be avoided, as the water retention is most prominent. Though I am more curious why none of the people around me have this problem, and to be sure that there is no underlying medical condition. Thanks again for your quick response.



Welcome back to Get the tests done once again. If all are normal you have idiopathic water retention and there are many people who have this complaint. My sincere advice would be to avoid alcohol as far as possible and do avoid consumption of salt containing snacks.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Please suggest a suitable medicine to regulate BP.

I do not have any health problem except high BP ... I eat less and avoid red meat and high protein ... I am very hopeful, that your blood pres   Read full

Whenever I drink alcohol, I feel itchy. Why?

I suggest tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at evening to control itching ... Hi doctor, Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears ... Itching and flushing may occu   Read full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

.. seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.