Q. Can you give a permanent solution for abdominal water retention?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2019

I am a 33 year old male. I am having regular water retention problem, specially on the abdomen region. It fluctuates quite a bit and so does my weight on the scale. Sometimes there is a lot of discomfort to even wear normal trousers on certain days. This however is most prominent on the days after consuming alcohol the previous night. This has been there for the past 3-4 years, but recently I have observed that this swollen abdomen region remains for couple of days. I have had a thyroid test last month which was normal and general health checkup every year including ECG has always been normal. I am not under any medication and no known ailments. I should also add that my LFT test was done about a year back and that was normal as well. It is just too uncomfortable on certain days to wear the usual clothes (trousers) and I would like seek a permanent solution to this problem. Kindly advise. Thank you.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

First of all we have to find the cause for this. If no cause is found then we would call it idiopathic. I would recommend you following investigations:

1. Hemoglobin.
  2. Liver function test.
  3. Kidney function test.
  4. Thyroid profile.
  5. Blood sugar.
  6. Urine for albumin.

You should avoid alcohol, take low salt diet and do regular exercises.

| 

Further to your reply, I must add that liver function test was conducted about a year ago and was normal. Hemoglobin, thyroid profile and blood sugar were all done two months back and were all normal including CBC and general urine test the same day. However, if you require I would do again and get you the reports. Due to my nature of work, I go through complete body checkup and general blood and urine tests every year, and nothing abnormal has been found till date. I do understand that alcohol must be avoided, as the water retention is most prominent. Though I am more curious why none of the people around me have this problem, and to be sure that there is no underlying medical condition. Thanks again for your quick response.

#

Get the tests done once again. If all are normal you have idiopathic water retention and there are many people who have this complaint. My sincere advice would be to avoid alcohol as far as possible and do avoid consumption of salt containing snacks.

| 

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Metpure XL 25 mg causes headache and fall in my sugar level. Is it a side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my BP 140/90 mmHg. The doctor advised me to take tablet Metpure XL 25 mg in the morning. I am using the tablet in the morning for last 20 days. Soon after taking it, I feel lazy and dull. I also experience a headache after taking the tablet. So, I am using Metpure XL 12.5 mg in the ...  Read Full »

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full »