Q. Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Jun 02, 2016

I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took two rabies doses. Still, is there a possibility to get rabies?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

• The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down.
  • However, since you took two doses last year that might have given continued protection till now.
  • Therefore, if you took another 2 doses of rabies vaccine now, then it will help for the next two years at least and you will not get rabies.

For further doubts consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

What is the treatment for dog bite injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My problem is dog bite with some pain. I am currently on antirabies medication. I am a 15 year old male. My weight is 38 kg and height is 5 feet.  Read Full »

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now