Q. Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took two rabies doses. Still, is there a possibility to get rabies?

#

• The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down.
  • However, since you took two doses last year that might have given continued protection till now.
  • Therefore, if you took another 2 doses of rabies vaccine now, then it will help for the next two years at least and you will not get rabies.

For further doubts consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

| 
1 out of 1 likes