Q. My eldest son had PET and CT scans. Will the radiation affect my other son?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 31, 2020

Over two years ago my eldest son was diagnosed with lymphoma. He had PET scans and CT scans. These started at the end of my last pregnancy and went on while my son was a newborn and infant. I do not remember him holding the baby, but he came home from scans and was around him. They never said this was dangerous or told him to stay away from anyone for any length of time. I would like to know whether my baby has been exposed to radiation.

#

I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

• Your baby is totally safe. There is radiation risk only when doing PET and CT scans. The risk is only to the patient, which means your eldest son in your case.
  • Your newborn was never exposed to any harmful radiation at home.
  • In conclusion, your baby is safe from any scans done on your other son.

For further doubts consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|