Q. Do the radiation level add to cancer risk on top a dose from medical imaging?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn

Does the natural background radiation level (3 mS v per year) add to cancer risk on top of a dose from medical imaging, or is natural radiation separate or safe since we all receive it?

#

One mSv is the limit for the general public. The background is usually within this limit. But radiation workers have a limit of 20 mSv per year, which is also very safe. Also, doses from medical imaging can contribute. But the benefits from medical imaging offset any potential theoretical risks of increased cancer risk. Background radiation is 0.1 uSv per hour, which comes to about one mSv in a year.

Thanks for the advice.

I slept with my phone under my testicles. When can I safely try for a baby again?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, unfortunately, I slept with my mobile phone under my testicles. I slept like that for five hours. I have heard of mobile radiations causing harm to the sperm and testicular cells by affecting the DNA. My problem is that my wife and I are both 34 years old and are planning for...  Read Full »

Can a CT scan of the pelvis affect my eggs?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a lower GI and pelvic CT scan with contrast done at the age of 36 years. I fly a lot. I want kids. Did this scan harm my eggs or increase my chances of developing cancer? Nothing was found in the scan, and the MSV was 8.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now