Q. What is the cause of having raised ALT and AST levels within two months?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2021 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2021

Recently, I did blood work, and my ALT was 65 U/L, and my AST was 97 U/L. Both of these parameters were below 60 two months back.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have recently done your blood test. Both ALT (alanine transaminase) and AST (aspartate transaminase) are above normal. Your ALT is 65 U/L, and AST is 97 U/L, and both were below 60 two months back. Elevated liver enzymes like AST and ALT may result from various underlying health conditions such as fatty liver (most common), obesity, alcohol consumption, high blood sugar, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, medications, hepatitis, celiac disease, liver diseases, and many more. Treatment depends on the cause. At first, the exact causes for raised liver enzymes should be found out and then treat the condition accordingly.

In the meantime, exercising regularly, avoiding fatty and oily foods, reducing extra body weight, adding green leafy vegetables to the diet charts regularly, avoiding smoking and alcohol consumption, reducing blood cholesterol level, taking folic acid-containing foods and supplements, lifestyle modification may help to return your liver enzyme levels back to normal range. Again, your currently using medications like Lisinopril, Cymbalta, Xanax, Baby aspirin may elevate your liver enzymes too. But your elevated AST and ALT levels are not so high for indicating anything serious, and one blood test does not confirm anything. You can repeat your liver function tests one to three months later and then do as needful. Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

I do not have any problem. I appreciate a straightforward and knowledgeable answer.

#

Thank you for joining again. It is my duty. Hopefully, your elevated liver enzymes will go back to the normal range within a short period. Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|