Q. I have pain in an RCT treated tooth. Can this be treated with just medicines?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I am a 36 year old male. I had a root canal treatment five years back. Since the last two days, I have severe pain in the same tooth. Irrespective of a cold or hot sensation, the pain was constant. My dentist has prescribed Oflox OZ and Meftal forte for five days and advised re-RCT. Please find the attached X-ray. I am not convinced that the infection is severe enough to be considered for re-RCT. Please advise if it can be treated with medicines alone so that I can avoid going through an RCT again.

#

I have seen the X-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is an infection in one of the roots of the tooth, which needs a retreatment. You can see it as a black circle surrounding the apex of the posterior root.
  • There is no option but to undergo re-root canal treatment or it will have to be extracted. Take the antibiotic and go back to your dentist.
  • Is the tooth mobile? It also seems in the X-ray that maybe the root is fractured, but cannot see that clearly.

For more information consult a dentist online -->https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|