Q. Is tablet Pansec increasing my father's creatinine levels?

Published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father is being treated for peptic ulcer, from the past 15 days. So, he is taking a medicine called as Pansec 40 mg, in the morning and evening. He has also developed slight kidney problems, and his creatinine has raised to 1.6. To rule out renal cancer, the doctor will perform a renal biopsy next week, but his creatinine level has to be less than 1.4. Is this medicine increasing his creatinine level? Can we stop Pansec till his biopsy is done? Kindly let me know, it will be of great help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• Pantoprazole belongs to a group of drugs called as proton pump inhibitors, and they are known to cause interstitial nephritis.
  • However, they are not strongly blamed for causing so, but if you want to be on the safer side, it is advisable to switch from Pantoprazole to Ranitidine. Ranitidine is considered safe in kidney disease, and its dosage is 150 mg twice a day.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Is Pantoprazole allergy something to be concerned about?

Query: Hello doctor, I had indigestion problems last month and I was given a Pan 40 injection in a 24/7 hospital in my locality. The moment I was given the injection, my body developed rashes, redness, and itching. My doctor immediately gave Avil injection after which rashes and redness subsided. Two days...  Read Full »

Is using Pantoprazole with Cutein in acne patients effective?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acne for around five years. Now I am using Cutein tablets. I suddenly got a burning sensation in my stomach. So, now I am using Pantoprazole tablets along with Cutein. Is that effective or injurious?  Read Full »

How to identify the reason for abdominal bloating?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past one year or more I have been suffering from occasional severe abdominal bloating. But, for the last few months it has been all day. I have been tested for celiac disease and the result was negative. My stomach becomes so big and I cannot walk or when sit. I cannot see or clot...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now