Q. Is tablet Pansec increasing my father's creatinine levels?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father is being treated for peptic ulcer, from the past 15 days. So, he is taking a medicine called as Pansec 40 mg, in the morning and evening. He has also developed slight kidney problems, and his creatinine has raised to 1.6. To rule out renal cancer, the doctor will perform a renal biopsy next week, but his creatinine level has to be less than 1.4. Is this medicine increasing his creatinine level? Can we stop Pansec till his biopsy is done? Kindly let me know, it will be of great help.

#

• Pantoprazole belongs to a group of drugs called as proton pump inhibitors, and they are known to cause interstitial nephritis.
  • However, they are not strongly blamed for causing so, but if you want to be on the safer side, it is advisable to switch from Pantoprazole to Ranitidine. Ranitidine is considered safe in kidney disease, and its dosage is 150 mg twice a day.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|