Q. How long will the achy sensation on my throat when I laugh or cough take to heal?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2022 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2022

I have a sensation of ache in my throat near Adam's apple area only when I laugh or cough. It does not pain, and it is more of an achy muscle feeling, and I have had it for a few months. Is this normal? I am currently taking Lansoprazole and nasal steroids for post nasal drip. I also suffer from anxiety. I have been throat clearing for a long time. Hoping it is just inflammation, but how long does it take to heal? I am very fit, and I do not feel tired. My blood pressure is 114/72 mm/Hg, PEF is 815 L /min, FEV1 is 112 %. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. There can be multiple causes of the symptoms that you are experiencing.

1) Reflux laryngitis: due to acid reflux, the acid reaches the larynx and causes constant irritation in the throat.

2) Chronis laryngitis: it is seen in people with excessive use of vocal cords like singers or stage performers. Constant use of the vocal cord can lead to the symptoms you are facing. It is mainly treated by giving rest to the vocal cords.

3) Allergic pharyngitis: constant exposure to dust or an allergen can lead to this. An anti-allergic will be good enough to treat it.

4) Infectious causes: bacterial infection can lead to it, but chances of same are less likely as you do not have any fever and infection does not last longer than two weeks. Another infection that can cause this is candida infection. Candida infection can present without fever and last for months. It is very commonly associated with a side effect of the local inhalational steroids you are using.

I suggest the following:

1) Tablet Cyra-D (Domperidone and Rabeprazole) one tablet, twice daily.

2) Tablet Dazit M (Desloratadine and Montelukast) one tablet, twice daily.

3) Syrup Mucaine gel (Oxetacaine, Aluminium Hydroxide, and Milk of magnesia) two teaspoonfuls thrice daily.

4) Tablet Medrol (Methylprednisolone) 4 mg twice daily for five days, then 4 mg once a day for five days, and then stop.

5) Tablet Forcan (Fluconazole) 150 mg once a day for three days and then stop.

6) Avoid oily, spicy foods, tea, coffee, smoking, and alcohol as much as possible.

7) Take a high fiber diet to avoid constipation and acid reflux.

I suggest you stop inhalational steroids (they do more harm than good). Oral steroids are much better than inhalational. I have suggested a low dose of oral steroids to you, which will help you without any side effects. I will also suggest going for direct laryngoscopy. Endoscopic visualization of the larynx will clear all the pictures of what is going on inside your throat.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not feel acid reflux burning, but it could be off the steroid then. I get lots of relief by lying on my left side, but the sensation on the right side of my sternum is prickly. As soon as I lie on my left side or eat and exercise, it all goes away. I am not sure where I will get all those drugs, but I will change my diet, and hopefully, the sensation will go soon. I had a salivary pepsin test last week, and I have attached the results of that. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. Sensation going away while eating and lying are commonly associated with reflux. The link you have shared is not opening and shows some errors. Can you please share the results of the pepsin test again?

Thank you for the reply.

I have attached the pictures of my test again and shared my password.

#

From the report attached (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity), it is borderline positive. That means you have these symptoms due to multifactorial reasons, and acid reflux is one of the contributory though not major. So a combination of medicines will help you rather than a single targeted approach. Besides, diet modification, healthy eating, and regular exercise will help you. Kindly look for the medications I suggested.

Thank you for the information.

My anxiety has been bad. Worrying the worst, I keep going on the internet, not looking things up, which does not help.

#

No problem. Always happy to help.

|