Q. Can a respiratory infection cause pain below and above the shoulder blade?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 02, 2021

I have pain in my upper back below the shoulder blade for over three weeks and I am really worried. It seems to be a dull constant pain. It comes after eating and then disappears for a while. I thought it to be due to bad posture. But the pain seems to be specific in that area and the pain is almost behind the liver. What is the reason and how to stop it?

#

I understand your concern. Muscular pain occurs due to poor posture. But you have mentioned that it is constant and so it can be due to respiratory tract infection. I suggest you take a chest X-ray to rule out the cause and then get treated accordingly. You can send me the X-ray reports. I will check it and prescribe you medicines. Please take tablet Diclofenac 50 mg twice a day after meal for three days and the pain subsides if it is due to muscles. Please tell me whether you have a cough or difficulty in breathing, fever, and sore throat, or bad smell from breath. Please answer my questions.

Yes, I have a cough, sore throat, bad breath, and difficulty in breathing. But the sore throat and cough got reduced. But still, I have a cough.

#

It is better to do an X-ray of the chest in the posteroanterior view and send me the reports. I will check it and suggest you. Please mention the kind of cough you have whether it is dry or productive with mucus and the medicines taken for it. Usually, antibiotics help a lot.

I am not able to get a chest X-ray done soon. But I think that I have improved a lot. I have a history of asthma and the situation is not new to me. I have pain below my shoulder blade sometimes. I had a sore throat and I took Strepsils for it. It had gone now. When I had difficulty in breathing, I used to take two puffs of my Ventolin inhaler. It helped me a lot. I am taking a cough syrup Menthodex for my cough which is mucus. But it is not gone. I still have wheezing. What can I do for the respiratory infection and for the pain below my shoulder blade? I am little scared.

#

You can take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day after meal for three days. It helps to fight against infections. Asthma occurs due to allergic substances such as ad dust pollen and stress. It is good to avoid it. Please take the medicines and follow up after three days to know your condition.

|