Q. I had ringworm infection a year ago, and have it again now. Please suggest a cure.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

One year back, I suffered from ringworm on the jock and legs. I applied Dermikem OC and it helped. After one year, it appeared again on the same spot. I used the same ointment, but it did not help. It started as a very small circle, and after that, it became very big. I then used Clotrimazole ointment and Fluconazole tablets. For a few days it was fine, and then after stopping it, it came back, this time on the face too. Please suggest me a solution for this problem. I do not have any other health issues.

#

From your description, it appears to be tinea cruris, a fungal infection which increases with sweating. You will need to take oral medication as well as apply creams topically.

For topical application, I suggest:

1. Luliconazole 1 % cream once daily.
  2. Miconazole 2 % cream once daily.

The oral medications can be decided depending on the extent of involvement. You will have to send me a picture to enable me to decide.

Wash your clothes separately. If not, it can spread to your family members.

Keep the area dry.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please find the images attached and accordingly suggest me a cure.

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

What you have is tinea corporis, a type of ringworm infection.

• I suggest taking capsule Syntran (Itraconazole) 100 mg, twice daily, after meals, for two weeks. Revert back after two weeks, so that the medications can be tapered.
  • You need to apply both the creams mentioned in the previous message for two months.
  • Sweating and constant moisture leads to fungal infection. Keep the area dry and maintain personal hygiene.

|