Q. After ten months of root canal treatment, I still have soreness while biting. Why?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2021

I have undergone root canal treatment ten months back. Still, I have a tingling sensation and soreness in my tooth while biting my foods. It got improved bit by bit but very slowly. Is there a chance for me to get it healed completely? or Do I need extraction?

#

Ten months period is more than enough for the root canal treatment to get healed. It gets relieved by a week or by two sittings. If the patient does not have pain or any other issues with root canal treatment, then it is sealed and then a crown is placed over it. This entire process is done within three weeks. But in your case, something is wrong. You have uploaded your X-ray but you have not mentioned the tooth causing pain. So I am unable to comment on it.

Overfilling of roots beyond their length causes the issue of a tingling sensation when you bite or even without biting. Kindly send the image of the painful tooth and I can help you efficiently. Ongoing through the X-ray, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) every tooth is filled up to the end. We should leave two millimeters at the end part to avoid having any poking or tingling sensation. So I am looking for the image of the painful tooth. I can help you to have relief.

Please mention whether you have pain in the upper first molar on the left side because you have done two root canal treatments on that side. I suspect that you have pain on the upper left first molar as the root canal filling extends upon the sinus. It can create a tingling sensation. You are facing discomfort without a reason. This issue can be resolved completely by consulting your dentist soon.

|