Q. Do you know the reason for gum pain after temporary crown placement?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jun 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

I am looking for a little advice since I cannot be seen until tomorrow by my dentist. I recently had a root canal on my bottom left tooth (last one at the back in the photo). A few weeks later, I got a temporary crown placed over it. The area beyond the tooth is inflamed and hurts badly. It is causing pain on the side of my tongue and the left side of my throat. I have no idea what could be causing it. I remember them attaching a metal piece back there to keep my mouth dry and open, but not sure if that could be the cause of anything. It did hurt when they did the procedure. What can I do today to relieve the pain? Also, do you know what could be causing it? Thank you.

#

I had gone through your complaint and the relevant details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cause of your pain should be either of the following.

• When you bite, the upper last molar might hit the lower gums beyond the root canal treated tooth causing soreness and pain in the gums and on the side of the throat.
  • The temporary crown itself can be the reason, in which the margins of the crown is placed deep into the gums and are sharp (poorly fabricated) causing pain on the side of the tongue.
  • Also, both of the above could be the pain causing reasons and not the mouth prop.
  • For immediate pain relief, gargle your mouth with lukewarm salt water thrice a day.
  • If the pain is intense, take the over-the-counter single dose of tablet Paracetamol 500 mg.

1. Check occlusion and perform coronoplasty (reducing tooth occlusion by restructuring the tooth).
2. Smoothen the margins of the temporary crown.

1. Do not brush aggressively on the affected site.
2. Do not rub salt on the inflamed area.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »