Q. Is it advisable to get RCT done in a child?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Published on Jun 05, 2019

My 2.5 years old daughter had a fall around 6 to 7 months back and one of her front teeth was chipped. At that time, it looked fine and till now, she had no pain or any sensitivity issues in eating. But off late, the color of the chipped tooth has turned green. We consulted two dentists, first one was a specialist in child dentistry and recommended an RCT treatment wherein a chemical will be placed to cure the infection. He said that the discoloration will increase with time and this baby tooth might fall off much earlier (in 4 to 5 years) than the expected time (6 to 8 years).

The other dentist recommended to observe for six months and see if any rash or boil is developed above the gums and any kind of pain is experienced. He also said that such a tooth might fall off before time. We are confused as to what we should do? If RCT is the way out then we would prefer to get it done before she starts with her formal schooling at 3. But we are mainly concerned if she could endure such a treatment as she is very small. Please provide suggestion. I have attached a photo of the X-ray.

#

I got your chief complaint and opinions of two dentists. As far age is concerned, your daughter still is in need of these teeth as permanent teeth take time to erupt, by 6 to 7 years they will erupt. Till then, healthy front teeth are important otherwise she will develop irregular teeth later. As tooth has changed color so it is better to act on the suggestions of pedodontist and go for pulpectomy or RCT. It will keep the tooth intact and prevent formation of any cyst later.

There is nothing wrong with it and there are modern gadgets to do the procedure, she will not feel any kind of pain during the procedure. If you leave it as such, it will weaken with time and may later contribute to huge financial burden to treat irregular teeth.

My 4 year old daughter's tooth is infected and paining. Is it necessary to get it extracted?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At 4 years, we never advise getting the tooth extracted. If the tooth is infected, we perform a procedure called as pulpectomy. Here we remove the infected portion of the pulp, and replace it with a filling or place a small crown to save the tooth until the patient is...  Read Full

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full