Q. Will my tooth support post after root canal treatment?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

I was suffering from molar pain for the past two weeks and then decided to see a doctor. One of my molars decayed and I needed a root canal. But here is a thing, my tooth is very very short for a crown, it is between 1 and 2 mm in height. Is it fine to just put a post and then refill the tooth? How essential is the crown?

#

If your root canal is being in process and the crown length is very low, it is best to have post and core done on it after a final step of the root canal. This will strengthen your tooth and it will last long for like 10 years or more. If you do not get the post and core buildup on it and will go for a cap on such small crown portion the cap will be taken out in your chewing process more often and there will be a chance of breakage of tooth also that is saved through root canal treatment.

So, I will advise you to get the post done. And one kind advice is that wait at least a week before your cap is placed so that you may rule out any pain or sensitivity issues of tooth in this time period, as once cap is placed and then you start feeling some sensitivity in the root canal or any symptoms of pain then cap removal will be difficult procedure. So, do not rush for the cap. Get post and core buildup done. Finish antibiotics, then take some time without medicines to see if all is fine. Then after a week or two get cap done. Stay happy and blessed.

|