Q. I am diagnosed with ruptured eardrum. Is that the reason for my jaw pain and numbness?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I am currently trying to get over my seasonal sinus infection. However, after taking a nap a couple of days ago, I lost most hearing in my left ear. I went back to the urgent care and was told I had a ruptured eardrum. I was given drops to put in my ear. However, I cannot help but notice that around my ear on the left side is partly numb and the pain goes into my jaw joint. Should I be concerned about this numbness and the pain in my jaw? I told the Urgent Care NP about it, and she just gave me a confused look, saying that it is weird, offering no answers.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If you have a ruptured drum,

1. Do not put ear drops.

2. Do not let water enter the ears.

3. Visit an ENT soon.

4. Assess the size of perforation.

5. Ask ENT if it will heal spontaneously.

Some perforations are small and heal on their own in healthy individuals, but others do not. Regarding the pain in jaw joint and numbness, the perforation does not explain that.

However, it could be that your sinus and nose problem resulted in rising of infection into the particular ear through the eustachian tube and caused a disease of the middle ear resulting in the discharge of pus through that ear eventually. In that case, the condition should heal on its own. But you need a course of antibiotic, nasal and systemic decongestant, antiallergic and painkiller.

| 

What should be done if there is viscous fluid discharge from ears?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. Some type of viscous liquid comes out of my ears and when it dries up, it hardens. Please help me.  Read Full »

Why do I have some discomfort after using a Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »

I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my...  Read Full »