Q. I have a small palpable swelling under the right side of my jaw. Please help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2021

Before ten days, I was taking some soup. When some of the soup went under my tongue, I got some sudden sour taste on my right side of my mouth and jaw. It got subsided in intensity and I examined my mouth inside for tender areas or asymmetries under my tongue. After that, I noticed a swelling in my submandibular duct on the right side. But I do not had any tenderness. On that night, I was eating some chips. After that, I noticed some discomfort in my right jaw with earache and pain while swallowing. I felt it in my throat too and I also noticed a golf-ball-sized swelling under my right jaw.

After getting some advice from my father, I used some warm salt water rinses and external warm compresses. Within a short time, swelling got reduced. On repeated rinses, it got reduced minimally. Still, I had a palpable asymmetry on both sides of my jaw. Last night, I had some discomfort in that area and realized that it is getting swelled again. I am using salt rinses and compresses repeatedly. My swelling remains enlarged and it seems to be fluctuating in size.

Sometimes, I have a referred pain in my ears. My submandibular duct seem to be swollen slightly. But after noticing a small white spot at the head of the duct, it got disappeared after using salt rinses. I think that this may be a small salivary stone. I do not have any fever or sour taste in my mouth or any other symptoms in my salivary gland.

Before ten days, I recall that after eating a hard food, I got a cut in my gums through miscalculated bites and so it may have traumatized the duct. My symptoms got reduced after doing repeated saltwater gargles and warm compresses. I need medical advice on whether I am doing the right one.

#

I think that you are suffering from an infected gland or sialolith or a traumatized duct. In all these three cases, you can follow this advice. Hydration is the keyway. Keep drinking five to six liters of boiled warm water every day. You can do salt water gargling eight to ten times a day for a month. It will help you a lot. You can take tablet Clindamycin 300 mg three times a day for five days. Try to eat on time. Avoid taking spicy, oily, and junk foods for a month. You need to take an ultrasound of salivary glands. It is definitely mandatory to see whether there are any impacted stone and parenchymal issues. Try to do it after the pandemic subsides. It will take some time to subside and it depends on how you follow this advice.

|