Q. I have itchy rashes in legs with bleeding on scratching. Kindly help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I have itching in the legs, which resulted in some bleeding due to scratching, I believe. As a background, I swim five times a week and have been taking showers every time I stepped out of the house during this pandemic situation. I have attached the pictures.

#

I have seen your query and examined your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems you have developed scabies. Do you have itch more during night hours? Any other family member do have the same? Any other body parts involved?

Yes, it feels more at night recently but not something I feel every single day. None of my family members have any complaints of itching, and it is not in any other part of the body.

#

I have seen your query and examine your given pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems that you are suffering from scabies. May be acquired from the swimming pool. Scabies is an intensely itchy skin infestation caused by the mite. The diagnosis of scabies can often be made clinically with a pruritic rash with itching occurs predominantly at night and characteristic linear burrows over limbs, other family members can be affected.

Regarding treatment, on day-1, you can use single below neck application all over body of 5% Permethrin cream during night after taking a bath, leave it for 10-12 hours and then take a bath on the next day morning (use HH Mite soap for bath). Also, take tablet Ivermectin 12 mg single dose the same day, wash your used clothes thoroughly and use fresh clothes after bath on the next day.

Day-2 apply Fluticasone 0.05% cream twice daily for five to seven days and tab Levocetirizine once daily for the same duration. All medicine should be used after consulting your GP or nearby dermatologist.

|