Q. Kindly advise any non-surgical method of releasing fibrotic contracture.

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

I have a big scar in my right thigh that has led to a contracture with little flexure on my knew joint for over ten years. I have recently underwent a corrective Z-plasty release but with only little gains in flexure, the Doctor said the contracture had develop a fibrosis that needs to be removed. Is there any non-surgical method of releasing fibrotic contracture?

#

From what I can see in the pictures is that you have got a massive tissue loss over your thigh and that too over such a long period that it has gone for severe contracture. Only the Z-plasty will definitely not give you enough results. As your doctor has suggested you will have to go for complete removal of the scar and fibrotic tissue with reconstruction by a large free flap. Before that, few investigations will be required which will give the idea about how much post op benefit u will be gaining. Non-surgical methods are there for removing the fibrosis, but definitely not for such a massive one.

X ray of the knee and hip, MRI of thigh region, vascular doppler of donor vessel for a free flap.

Scar and fibrosis Excision with reconstruction by free flap

| 

Can hyperpigmented scar be removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have a disfigured nose tip with the hyperpigmented scar as a result of a Hydroquinone reaction (Melalite 15 cream). I have undergone several treatments including dermabrasion, subcision and chemical peel. Currently, I am taking Limcee (vitamin c) tablets and co...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for pulmonary fibrosis in an elderly?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 74-year-old male with a weight of 142 pounds and a height of 5 feet 10 inches. I take no medications except Ativan. I take vitamins. I am a non-smoker, worked in the auto body shop for two years painting cars, quit grain farming at the age of 44, minimal exposure to asbestos. I...  Read Full »

What are the treatments available to remove scars permanently?

Query: Hello doctor, I met with an accident one and a half years ago. I was severely injured but got cured. The problem now is the scars are raised and there is no hair growth in that area. The scar is just below my nose. What are the treatments available to remove scars completely? I have attached a pi...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now