Q. The scar on my lip is spoiling my smile. Do I need any surgical treatment?

Dr. Manish Jain

I have been hit by a leather ball two months ago and because of that, a hard scar has been formed on my lip. It spoils my smile. Swelling is also there. I am currently on Hexilak Gel. How else can I be treated?

#

• It takes about at least one year for the scar to mature. Until then, the scar will be hard and it undergoes various stages.
  • The treatment is good.
  • Kindly provide images for further care.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

I have some doubts. Would you please clear that? I have studied on the internet that a lump on the lip can be corrected by certain scar revision treatments and also by certain surgeries. For the past two months, I feel very depressed. I have attached few pictures. I would like to know if it can be corrected by surgery. I am ready for any type of surgery because the laceration is spoiling my smile.

#

I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You are right. There are certain ways to correct scars by surgical treatment but as I already told you and after going through the pictures, I do not think there is any need for any surgical treatment at present.
  • I already told you that the scar maturation takes place about one year and the scars go through various stages during this time. So, the final result can be measured only after one year that. Whether it will require any further surgical treatment or not it can be decided then only.
  • You massage with Hexilak Gel (Unfractionated Heparins Topical) regularly in the morning and evening as it will soften the scar and will bring your smile back.

I had five stitches on my upper lip and after removal of the stitches, there was swelling and a cyst had been formed on one side of my lip. One lip is bigger in size. I am unsure that whether it will be normal or not. How can I overcome this? It lowers my confidence when I talk to somebody. I am little worried about the cyst that would form on my upper lip. I would like to know how would I overcome that cyst?

#

• Cyst formation after the suture occurs commonly due to suture retention. So, consult any plastic surgeon for cyst removal.
  • The swelling occurs after the trauma and would subside within six weeks.

I understand the swelling will go away by time. But, I am worried about the shape. My upper left lip is one size and the right is of a different size. Is there any surgery through which I can correct my injured lip shape? I have two stitches on my lips and three inside of my lips and the swelling irritates me always. Kindly suggest quick relief measures.

#

• You can consult a plastic surgeon in your area for treatment.
  • Meanwhile, I suggest you take tablet Chymoral Forte (Trypsin Chymotrypsin) three times a day for seven days. It will help to reduce swelling. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the above medicines with their consent.

| 

Can a lump on the head be treated with medication?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom aged 52 years has got a small lump on her head three years back. Although it was not causing any pain, she is just curious to know if it can get treated by medication. She felt that its size increased slightly, but she does not prefer surgery. For your information, the present ...  Read Full »

I spilt hot tea on my thighs.What should I apply for rapid healing?

Query: Hello doctor, Tea spilled on my thighs last night and I can see swelling filled with water now. I have already applied silverex ointment yesterday night. What should I apply for rapid healing?   Read Full »

Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a knot or lump on my upper back just in the middle and little right side of the back. It can be felt when I get a massage. Can this be dangerous? The doctor once told me seven years back that it might be fat. What test can make sure that it is not a serious kind of tumor?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now