Q. Is talking to myself in front of the mirror a symptom of schizophrenia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am a 24 year old female. I am a healthy and happy person. I eat well and exercise well. I have a lot of friends, cool hobbies, etc. But, I have a weird habit. Whenever I am alone I talk to myself standing in front of the mirror. I imagine a lot. I think so many things like I am in an interview and I try to venture out the best answers and framing smart answers. When I am practicing on my guitar, I imagine lots of people are watching me and appreciating me for playing so well. I imagine futuristic conversations with people where I ask a question and answer them. When I am alone, I keep imagining some stuff. Also, I pick up some topic and start talking to myself in front of the mirror. I personally feel this habit has improved my communication skills, confidence and vocabulary. I am not shy and I do not have stage fear. When I meet my friends or when I am giving presentations at college, I am the one who used to stay very confident.

However, some days back, when I was talking to myself in front of the mirror, my mom questioned me. Until now I did not pay much attention to what I was doing. But, ever since my mom saw me doing that I have become conscious. I have stopped talking to myself for two to three days. But, I do not feel like I have been missing out on anything. I am still friendly and confident. But, I am just wondering if I have crossed the line of sanity. I searched about this on the internet and came across something called as schizophrenia. Is this disorder setting with my habit? Do I have schizophrenia or any other disorder? To be honest, after reading about this schizophrenia I am very scared. It sounds like a very serious disorder to me. Please help.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns.

From the available description, I do not think you have crossed the limit of sanity or you developed schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is altogether very different disorder where people have abnormal perceptions such as hearing voices when no one is present and seeing objects when nothing is there. I do not see any of them with you.

In my view, you need to put your worries at rest and do what your mind and heart considers right. It may be abnormal for your mother, but there is no pathology with this.

If you feel more assistance is required or my answer to your query is far from setting down the worries, then it is better to see a psychiatrist in person.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|