Q. I am having pain in the scrotum. Is it torsion or detorsion?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 48 years old male. I do not have diabetes or hypertension. I had on and off pain in the scrotum for two months. I felt better after I had a course of Doxycycline for seven days. But one day I ran to catch a bus and at that time I felt some pain. Again I am experiencing the on and off pain, but this time the pain is restricted to the area in the left scrotum. My general surgeon advised me Ofloxacin for a week and then I had Doppler, urine and blood examination. My high resolution color Doppler ultrasound findings are as follows. Left testis - 40 x 21 x 29 mm, normal in size and echotexture. There is no mass or lesion or calcification seen. Right testis - 46 x 19 x 26 mm, normal in size and echotexture. There is no mass, lesion or calcification seen. Epididymis is normal in size and echotexture right 10 x 8 and left 11 x 9. There is no evidence of hydrocele and varicocele. Is it torsion and detorsion? Will Doppler show that? Also advise further investigations. Please guide me. Thanks.



Welcome to

  • Please let me know urine r/m (routine and microscopy) findings. If urine shows pus cells, kindly get a urine culture done.
  • Please get a USG KUB and prostate (ultrasound of the urinary tract which includes kidney, ureter, urinary bladder and prostate) done if not done already.
  • Pain of prostatitis can radiate to scrotum. Usually, treatment takes one to one and a half months.
  • Torsion is more likely in younger patients. Doppler can only help during torsion episode. Also, spontaneous detorsion is rare.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a urologist online -->

Hi doctor,

My CBP is normal including ESR 05 mm. Examination of urine resulted protein in trace. All other findings are normal. Microscopic examination revealed pus cells 2-4/HPF, epithelial cells 1-2/HPF, RBCs, crystals, casts absent. Urine culture report showed culture negative for bacterial growth.



Welcome back to

  • You can take Ofloxacin daily for around one month after consulting your doctor.
  • Pain killers will help if taken initially for one week.

For further information consult a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have erectile dysfunction inspite of having L-Arginine. Kindly advice.

For that color Doppler ultrasound, penile angiography can be done ...   Read full

Will contralateral orchidopexy for testicular torsion affect fertility?

This year, I lost my right testis to testicular torsion, resulting from late diagnosis ... Besides, the fear of a retorsion in the left one and its subsequent loss keeps lingering ...   Read full

What could the pain in my scrotum in the spermatic cord region be?

This month, I had pain in my scrotum in the right spermatic cord region above the testicle ... A week ago, I had masturbation and I had pain at the same place in the scrotum ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.