Q. I am having pain in the scrotum. Is it torsion or detorsion?

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am a 48 years old male. I do not have diabetes or hypertension. I had on and off pain in the scrotum for two months. I felt better after I had a course of Doxycycline for seven days. But one day I ran to catch a bus and at that time I felt some pain. Again I am experiencing the on and off pain, but this time the pain is restricted to the area in the left scrotum. My general surgeon advised me Ofloxacin for a week and then I had Doppler, urine and blood examination. My high resolution color Doppler ultrasound findings are as follows. Left testis - 40 x 21 x 29 mm, normal in size and echotexture. There is no mass or lesion or calcification seen. Right testis - 46 x 19 x 26 mm, normal in size and echotexture. There is no mass, lesion or calcification seen. Epididymis is normal in size and echotexture right 10 x 8 and left 11 x 9. There is no evidence of hydrocele and varicocele. Is it torsion and detorsion? Will Doppler show that? Also advise further investigations. Please guide me. Thanks.

#

• Please let me know urine r/m (routine and microscopy) findings. If urine shows pus cells, kindly get a urine culture done.
  • Please get a USG KUB and prostate (ultrasound of the urinary tract which includes kidney, ureter, urinary bladder and prostate) done if not done already.
  • Pain of prostatitis can radiate to scrotum. Usually, treatment takes one to one and a half months.
  • Torsion is more likely in younger patients. Doppler can only help during torsion episode. Also, spontaneous detorsion is rare.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

My CBP is normal including ESR 05 mm. Examination of urine resulted protein in trace. All other findings are normal. Microscopic examination revealed pus cells 2-4/HPF, epithelial cells 1-2/HPF, RBCs, crystals, casts absent. Urine culture report showed culture negative for bacterial growth.

#

• You can take Ofloxacin daily for around one month after consulting your doctor.
  • Pain killers will help if taken initially for one week.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|