Q. I swallowed a lot of water at the swimming pool and now feel sick. Please help.

Dr. A.k.srivastava
Published on Aug 23, 2017

Yesterday, I was swimming in a pool that had salt water in it. I went underwater and accidentally swallowed the salt water. It burned my nose and my throat. I woke up today dizzy and my throat kills and my nose still does. I keep coughing up mucus. I also keep sneezing. What should I do?

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hello,Welcome in icliniq.com.I understand your concern.

You are likely to have an acute upper respiratory tract infection, and associated labyrinthitis as you have vertigo.

Now, you are advised to take:

1. Tablet Paracetamol.
  2. Tablet Betahistine 16 mg thrice daily.
  3. Steam inhalation.
  4. Antihistaminic and cough syrup.
  5. Adequate fluid.

I hope above will help you. If not, you have to consult your ENT doctor for a thorough examination and necessary investigations to manage your problem.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Hearing has deteriorated significantly with vertigo. Can it be due to acoustic neuroma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To rule out acoustic neuroma we do need an MRI scan. Acoustic neuroma is a tumor that grows inner to the inner ear where there are a lot of nerves passing by. If the tumor grows and involves the nerves it can cause palsies of the nerves which may be irreversible. The...  Read Full

What Causes Vertigo?

Article Overview: This article discusses vertigo, a sensation of spinning, dizziness, unsteadiness, and lightheadedness. Read Article

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Dizziness, unsteadiness, lightheadedness are symptoms expressed by the patient. But all these indicate that the patient is having a problem of balancing. Balancing is the outcome of a reflex mechanism where vestibule of ear, eyes and sensory receptors of joints and muscles send sensory impulses to t...  Read Article

Why am I having dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?

Query: Hello doctor, For a couple of days now I have been ill and the symptoms are getting worse. First, it started off with a swollen throat (which I still have but is not as bad) which gives me a phlegm cough but has reduced. I constantly have dizziness and blackouts with pulsating sensations not only g...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on descriptive history, I come to the conclusion that it started off as a viral infection (a sore throat) and has progressed to a secondary bacterial infection which has manifested as a cough with phlegm and due to phlegm accumulation in your sinuses, you are experi...  Read Full